Do sunscreens effect my swimsuit?
Do sunscreens effect my swimsuit?
In an answer – YES. Yes sunscreens, body lotions, moisturisers, self-tanners, bronzers and cosmetics can all effect our beautiful curvy and plus size swimsuits.
During summer, sunscreens are a necessary evil, we need sunscreens to protect our bodies from the harsh damaging effects of the sun. But at the same time, sunscreens, body oils and lotions can permanently damage our beautiful curvy swimsuits. Swimwear is made from synthetic fabrications that love to hold onto the oils and chemicals used in sunscreens and lotions and absorbs these chemicals into the fibres. Over time, this absorption will leave permanent discolouration and will weaken the fibres until the elastane content breaks down and your swimsuit is permanently damaged.
We can’t stress enough the importance of the care and laundering of our beautiful soft Artesands swimsuit fabrication and the removing of any sunscreen or lotion residue before its set into the fabrication. By following our step-by-step care and washing instructions for your curvy and plus size swimwear, this will make your swimsuit last way longer than if the care instructions are not adhered to. We don’t want you to be disappointed with your swimsuit, we want your curvy swimsuit to look as fantastic on you in a year as it did the day you bought it.
How to remove sunscreen stains from your Curvy or Plus Size Swimsuits
- Pre-Treat stains on your curvy swimsuit immediately.
- Treat stains directly with a spot cleaner for delicate fabrics. Pre-treat the stain-prone areas first and work the spot cleaner into areas that have been in contact with the sunscreens or body lotions. Like the straps, the ties and the edges along the top, arm holes and leg hole opening edges.
- Fill a bucket or your sink with cool fresh water.
- Soak the stain in cold water (do not use hot water as this can set the stain).
- Apply a small amount of a mild liquid detergent to the stain and gently rub it in (do not scrub it). Then wash as normal.
- Be gentle and lightly rub any stains.
- Then clean your swimsuit by hand washing separately with mild detergent mixed in a bath of cold water for 30 minutes (but no longer).
- Gently agitate it for at least 5 minutes.
- Don’t soak. Leaving your curvy swimsuit in too long will allow the detergent water to work its way into the swimsuit fibres, and this will therefore damage your swimsuit over time and damage the fit, so don’t get distracted.
- Rinse your curvy swimsuit in cool fresh water until all soap residues has been removed and the water runs clean.
- Gently squeeze the excess water out – do not wring.
- Do not overly rub or scrub your swimsuit. Please be gentle.
Swimsuit fabrication is not only affected by sunscreens. Your curve fit and plus size swimsuit fabrication can also be effected by other pool chemicals, prolonged sun exposure, salt water, sand, high temperatures, body oils, moisturisers, cosmetics, fake tans and sunscreens. If your swimsuit is not cared for correctly these elements will ruin and degrade your beautiful new swimsuit. The effects on your swimsuit will be sagging, becoming see through, fading in colour, yellowing stains and loss of fit.
It's important that the care instructions on the internal tag on your swimsuit are followed each and every time your wear your beautiful new Artesands curve fit or plus size swimsuit.
For full care instructions please click through here to read our in-depth blog on how to care for your new curvy or plus size swimsuit
All of our women’s curve fit women’s swimwear is available in plus sizes US 8 - US 20 and sizes AUST 12 - AUST 24.
To find swimwear in your size click the size link:
FREE shipping on orders over $150 AUD